Parent, Subclass 103

The Parent visa, subclass 103, is a permanent residency visa for individuals who have a child living in Australia.

A subclass 103 visa allows you to live in Australia – and to work if you choose – as a permanent resident.

You can plan for a visa to be granted under subclass 103 if you:
  • Have a child who can act as the sponsor of your application, and who is an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or an “eligible New Zealand citizen”, who is “settled” in Australia (as defined), and
  • Meet the balance of family test

The usual health and character requirements must also be satisfied.

A sponsoring child is usually considered to be “settled” in Australia if s/he is has lived lawfully in Australia for at least 2 years.

The balance of family test requires that either:

  • At least half of your children live permanently in Australia, or
  • More of your children live permanently in Australia than in any other country.

Thus, having 1 child living in Australia and 1 living in another country meets the balance of family test.

Having 1 child living in Australia, 1 child living in country A, and 1 child living in country B does not satisfy the test.

Applicants for a subclass 103 visa can be in Australia or outside Australia when they apply for the visa, but must be outside Australia when the visa is granted.

Visa application processing times are presently some 7 to 10 years from the date the visa application is lodged with the Department of Immigration’s Parents Visa Centre in Perth, Western Australia – the extended visa processing time for the subclass 103 visa as against the subclass 143 visa is the main reason why parents apply for the subclass 143 visa rather than the 103, even though the Department of Immigration Visa Application Charges are a lot higher for the 143 visa.

GM Parents brings together significant knowledge and experience from the Go Matilda Visas team in the area of Australian visa strategy.

We work with our clients on the basis of fixed fees, and a wish to have a long term relationship based on our expertise, trust and a quality service.

If you are a parent with a child living in Australia and would like help with an Australian visa application please contact your nearest GM Parents office or complete the form on this page for a no obligation free initial discussion.

We look forward to hearing from you.